It was a tasty tradition.
Every Sunday we would head to church then stop at Dunkin Donuts for some Munchkins….their scrumptious donut holes. It was our treat for the week and the kids (and myself) looked forward to it.
Then our daughter’s diagnosis came — she couldn’t tolerate gluten. Uh oh, not good for our Dunkin Donuts tradition. This is what inspired us to find our own gluten-free chocolate donut hole recipe. Necessity breeds invention, right?
We found some recipes online, but they consisted of some pretty crappy ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sure that a healthy donut exists (although I certainly wish one did).
A donut is a donut and they’re meant to be a treat, but it is possible to make a somewhat cleaner version of a donut…
…which is what I’m excited to share with you!
If you or someone you love can’t tolerate gluten, then surprise them with these tasty donuts! Trust me, your loved one has probably found that it is HARD to find a tasty, gluten free donut. They’ll be thanking you.
These donuts are so yummy.
They have the perfect amount of chocolaty-ness and sweetness, and they are perfectly moist. I had to make multiple batches to experiment with the flour to get the right balance of moisture, but I think I did it.
By the way…the icing is to die for and TOTALLY makes the donut. We’ve had the icing recipe kicking around the house, and I’m so glad I stumbled on it.
Don’t lick any from the bowl. You won’t be able to stop. Promise.
This recipe is inspired by the Glazed Chocolate Donut recipe found on Buns In My Oven.
- ¾ cup gluten free all-purpose flour (we love Bob's brand)
- ¼ cup almond flour (like this)
- ½ cup organic coconut palm sugar (this brand always has a great price!)
- ¼ cup organic cocoa powder (like this)
- ½ tsp baking soda (pure baking soda like this)
- ½ tsp organic vanilla extract (love this one)
- 1 organic egg
- 6 Tbsp organic sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup organic olive oil (unfiltered, unrefined olive oil like this)
- ⅓ cup organic butter
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar (like this)
- ½ tsp organic vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (gluten-free flour, coconut palm sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda)
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (vanilla extract, egg, sour cream, milk and olive oil) and beat with a hand mixer
- Stir wet ingredients in to dry ingredients
- Pour batter in to greased donut hole pan
- Cook for 8 minutes. Let cool before separating pans
- Donuts should be completely cool before dipping in to glaze
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and beat with a hand mixer