Last Updated on
We love a good, homemade cookie in this house and my husband delivered…again. Yes, this gluten and dairy free peanut butter and oatmeal cookie is another one of my husband’s creations.
He loves to create a great, from-scratch treat for the kids, and they are more than happy to help sample them.
So why gluten and dairy free?
Well, our daughter had just turned one and that’s when it all began. She started having random health issues that no one could peg; unexplained hives, horrific diaper rashes brought on by milk along with a variety of other symptoms that I won’t go into today. You can read more about our daughter’s symptoms and our journey to a diagnosis here.
For a full year we were dragging ourselves to doctor appointment after doctor appointment. When the “go to” pediatric allergist in town and the GI specialist said they were stumped, we knew we were going to have to try a different form of medicine.
This is when we decided to take our daughter to a Doctor of Functional Medicine, who finally gave us the answer; our daughter could not tolerate gluten. This doctor was right.
At that point, we knew a lot of things in our home had to change, including making a lot more foods from scratch.
Our daughter’s diagnosis is what led my husband to create some special treats for our daughter which includes these fabulous gluten and dairy free peanut butter and oatmeal cookies.
These cookies are moist, nutty, and delicious!
Before I give you the recipe, I want to remind you that if you have someone in your home that has Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity, make sure you buy oat products that are specifically labeled “gluten free.”
Oats are naturally gluten free, but often times they become contaminated due to being grown next to wheat or processed in the same facility as wheat. Thankfully, gluten free oat flour and gluten free oats are easily available.
- Hand mixer (like this)
- Cookie sheet (this one is great)
- 1 cup organic vegetable shortening (this is a great shortening that is non-GMO, orangutan safe)
- 1 ½ cup organic coconut palm sugar (we love this coconut sugar because you get the most bang for your buck)
- 1 cup organic peanut butter
- 2 large eggs, pastured and/or organic if you can
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (this is a great brand)
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking soda (like this)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt (our fav. unrefined sea salt)
- 1 cup gluten free quick cooking oats (this GF quick cooking oats is what we use)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, coconut sugar and peanut butter until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir the dry mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Mix in the oats just until combined.
- Using your hands, roll the cookie dough into balls (approx. size of a ping-pong ball). Place evenly spaced onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.