That said…yes, I obviously wash my hands and certainly encourage my toddler washing his hands in our home, too. We simply aren’t obsessive about it.
When you do wash your hands, you want to make sure that a few things are occurring…
- You are actually getting them clean…in a NON-TOXIC fashion.
- You’re actually improving their condition…in an organic, HEALTHY fashion.
- It’s obviously important to not hurt your own body…and also not hurt your ENVIRONMENT.
Sound good to you, too? Then this is the super easy DIY antibacterial hand soap for you.
Heck, put it in your shower, too. It’ll do your whole body good.
- Distilled water (or boiled H2O)
- Castile Soap (THIS castile soap at MRH is a very nice option)
- Almond Oil (Pronounce Skincare organic almond oil)
- Vegetable Glycerin (like THIS)
- Essential Oils: Lavender, Cedarwood Atlas, Tea Tree
- Glass hand pump (find them in Scratch Mommy Founder Jess’s herbal boutique here)
This recipe will fill an 8oz pump. Adjust this recipe according to your container size.
Add the following ingredients in the order they are listed below…
- Pour castile soap into your pump container until it is 1/4 full
- Next, add the following…
- 2 T of Almond Oil
- 1 T of Vegetable Glycerin
- Add the following essential oils…
- Lavender- 15 drops
- Cedarwood Atlas- 8-10 drops
- Tea Tree- 8-10 drops
- Adjust EOs according to your scent preference, but these ratios and amount totals work well for this size container; remember, less is often more with EOs
- Fill to the top with distilled H2O
Ta-da. You are ready to rub-a-dub-clean and be Oh So SMOOTH!!!
And now, let me answer some ‘whys’ for this DIY antibacterial soap recipe…
Why Vegetable Glycerin (I know that someone will ask)?
You can learn more about it in this post I wrote for a DIY Natural (& Easy) Remedy For Pests, but in a nutshell, vegetable glycerine is a great vessel to help essential oils bind to whatever you spray &/or place them on (in this case, you).
Other DIY posts I have written, which use Vegetable Glycerin include…
Why Almond Oil?
Learn more about Almond Oil (and other excellent carrier oils you should keep around the home) in THIS post on my blog. Then, you have GOT to check out this extensive post all about carrier oils here!
Here are a few of my own recipes on the blog using almond oil…
- DIY ‘Fix Pretty Much Anything’ Healing Salve (almond oil & EOs)
- DIY Secret Ingredient Deodorant recipe (with NO baking soda, friends)!!!
- Soothing Tooshie Salve Recipe, too (which also works wonders for YOUR skin…think rough elbows, heels, knees, etc etc etc)
- Finally, Non-Toxic Citrus Dusting Spray
Finally, why those particular EOs?
Whew! So, basically…by keeping a few simple ingredients on hand you can really get a lot accomplished by way of easy, fun DIY projects, which will detoxify your home, the environment, and your body. You can create healthy habits, friends…it’s easy!
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy