That said…yes, I wash my hands and certainly encourage my toddler washing his hands in our home, too. We simply aren’t obsessive about it.
When we do wash our hands, we want to make sure that a few things are occurring…
- We are actually getting them clean…in a NON-TOXIC fashion.
- We are actually improving their condition…in an organic, HEALTHY fashion.
- We aren’t hurting our own bodies…and also not hurting our ENVIRONMENT.
Sound good to you, too? Then this is the super easy DIY antibacterial hand soap for you.
Heck, put it in your shower, too. It’ll do your whole body good.
- Distilled water (or boiled H2O)
- Castile Soap (THIS castile soap at MRH is also a very nice option)
- Almond Oil (Pronounce Skincare organic almond oil)
- Vegetable Glycerin (like THIS)
- Essential Oils: Lavender, Cedarwood Atlas, Tea Tree
- Glass hand pump (THIS one is super cute)
This recipe will fill an 8oz pump. Adjust this recipe according to your container size.
Add the following ingredients in the order they are listed below…
- Pour Dr. Bronners into your pump container until it is 1/4 full
- Add 2 T of Almond Oil
- Add 1 T of Vegetable Glycerin
- Add the following essential oils…
- Lavender- 15 drops
- Cedarwood Atlas- 8-10 drops
- Tea Tree- 8-10 drops
- Adjust EOs according to your scent preference, but these ratios and amount totals work well for this size container; remember, less is often more with EOs
- Fill to the top with distilled H2O
Ta-da. You are ready to rub-a-dub-clean and be Oh So SMOOTH!!!
And now, some ‘whys’ are answered for you…
Why Vegetable Glycerin (I know that someone will ask)?
You can learn more about it in this post I wrote for a DIY Natural (& Easy) Remedy For Pests, but in a nutshell, vegetable glycerine is a great vessel to help essential oils bind to whatever you spray &/or place them on (in this case, you).
Other DIY posts I have written, which use Vegetable Glycerin include…
Why Almond Oil?
Learn more about Almond Oil (and other excellent carrier oils you should keep around the home) in THIS post on my blog. Then, you have GOT to check out this extensive post all about carrier oils here!
Here are a few of my own recipes on the blog using almond oil…
- DIY ‘Fix Pretty Much Anything’ Healing Salve (almond oil & EOs)
- DIY Secret Ingredient Deodorant recipe (with NO baking soda, friends)!!!
- DIY Soothing Tooshie Salve, too (which also works wonders for YOUR skin…think rough elbows, heels, knees, etc etc etc)
- Finally, Non-Toxic Citrus Dusting Spray
Finally, why those particular EOs?
Whew! So, basically…by keeping a few simple ingredients on hand you can really get a lot accomplished by way of easy, fun DIY projects, which will detoxify your home, the environment, and your body. You can create healthy habits, friends…it’s easy!
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy
PS As always…if you aren’t feeling incredibly DIYish (I get it…we all have A LOT going on these days), you can always visit the Pronounce Skincare Shop where you will find the finest in organic skincare.