Fall is officially here!
I don’t know about you, but my absolute favorite time of the year is the fall! The crisp air, leaves turning colors, comfy sweaters, and yummy pumpkin spice latte’s! I can’t get enough. Another perfect fall food is apples. My husband and I currently reside in southern Illinois and one thing I love about this place is that there are many apple orchards. Making them super inexpensive, plus we are supporting local agriculture. They even sell local apples in our grocery stores (although I prefer to buy them direct from the farmer)
This apple tart recipe is grain, nut, and dairy free.
You may be wondering why it’s missing these ingredients. Well, my husband was diagnosed with extreme case of ulcerative colitis 10 years ago and has been on medication since. Back in May my husband, myself, and a group of friends did our first Whole30. After we did Whole30 he figured out he was sensitive to dairy and gluten. He has been off medication since switching to a whole food diet and avoiding those foods for 4 months. Isn’t that exciting? You can check out that whole story here.
This wonderful, delicious, and easy apple tart recipe fills the air with the aromas of fall. Nothing beats warm apples with pumpkin spice. Actually, topping it with some homemade ice cream would! And you would never guess it was grain and nut free. You won’t even miss those ingredients. Ok ok I’m making myself hungry just typing this. On to the yummy recipe.
- 4-5 apples- peeled, cored, and sliced into small wedges
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs honey (this is a fantastic organic, raw honey)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (here's a nice pumpkin spice)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs coconut oil (the bestest organic, hand-pressed coconut oil)
- 2 Tbs honey
- ½ cup coconut flour [this is a great organic coconut flour)
- ½ cup dried pitted dates (pitted, sun-dried, unsulfured dates)
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice
- Place peeled, cored, and sliced apples into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over apples.
- Toss apples together to cover in lemon juice mixture.
- Set aside while you make the crust.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place all ingredients except the coconut flour into a blender and blend until dates have been pulverized. Fold in coconut flour and then blend for 10-20 seconds. The dough should still be sticky, but come together in a ball. Place the dough on a well greased pie pan, wet your hands, and press dough with your fingers. If the dough starts to stick to your fingers rinse them with water again and then start pressing the dough again.
- Once pie crust is pressed out, arrange apples on top of the uncooked crust. Pour apple mixture over top. If you would like a less lemony tart, add half of lemon juice mixture over top. Cover tart with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes. Take tart out of the oven and allow to cool. Slice and enjoy.
Need another apple recipe? Check out this yummy Paleo Apple Crisp.
I am not grain, nut or dairy free, but will totally make this recipe simply because I firmly believe that delicious food does not have to contain any of those ingredients! Looks and sounds so yummy.