I was so excited to receive some amazing products from NOW Foods as part of this campaign, and my first post since starting work with Scratch Mommy as the e-magazine Editor-In-Chief! It was fun to develop a recipe to share with our lovely readers. My husband and I *really* enjoyed this Quinoa Burger recipe and I hope you do, too.
I was already familiar with the Living Now line of foods. Being a food allergy mom, reading labels is something I take super seriously. The entire line has this statement:
Living Now is more than just a brand of great-tasting gluten-free foods – it’s a way of life for anyone with food sensitivities. This premium line was developed to provide wholesome, healthy foods bursting with flavor and made without gluten and major common allergens including wheat, nuts, soy, dairy, eggs, and shellfish. Living Now is produced in a dedicated allergy-friendly facility and is non-GMO with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. With Living Now eating is safe, fun, and satisfying again!
If you have any food allergies or sensitivities, you know how amazing this statement is. And if organic and non-GMO are your thing, they have you covered as well. We avoid peanut and egg for my son, so seeing high-quality foods with this care to detail is very reassuring.
Chia seeds are an amazing ingredient – they are filled with Omega 3 fatty acids and they are an excellent egg replacement. Whether you are avoiding eggs for allergy reasons or to support a vegan diet, you need to try chia seeds!
I LOVE cooking with cast iron – my skillet is HUGE and I was still only able to cook half of the burgers at once. Only one fell apart while cooking. Keep in mind these are quite spicy with the amount of cayenne used, so adjust to your taste.
I chose thyme since I often think of that as a poultry seasoning and I had used chicken broth to cook the quinoa. You can use all water or some vegetable broth to keep it vegan-friendly.
We topped our burgers with guacamole and ketchup to cut the heat. Ranch would also be a great addition. These reheat well and hubby had them for lunch at work the two days following.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. I like to use half water and half chicken stock.
- In a small bowl, combine water with chia seed until paste has formed and set aside to gel.
- Mash steamed carrots with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except chia seed and avocado oil.
- Mix in the gelled chia seed and 1 T of avocado oil until fully incorporated.
- Oil or water your hands and form mixture into patties. Make sure you pack them together firmly.
- In a large cast iron skillet, place 1 T avocado oil over medium heat.
- Working in batches, saute burgers for 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Flip carefully and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm on your choice of buns or salad.
Here are all the products I received. I’d love to hear what you’d like to know more about and which ones I should write about next. I might have a DIY Skincare item in the works…
This post was created as part of the #NOWWellness Blogger Ambassador Campaign in which I am a financially compensated blogger ambassador. The opinions are my own and based on my own experience.