Last Updated on
I have always loved this time of year.
The weather is great. Hot, yes. But, I like it that way.
As a kid, I really looked forward to getting back to school. I spent lots of time carefully picking out new clothes, getting folders and pencils organized, and dreaming up lunch box ideas during the weeks leading up to the first day.
I enjoy sports, so it’s fun to welcome football back. I love hearing the marching band from the nearby school play on Friday evenings and starting Saturdays with a Bloody Mary at a tailgate at my Big Ten alma mater. There’s also something about the scent in the air during the late afternoon right now that instantly transports me back to high school field hockey practice.
Another reason for loving this time of year? Both of my siblings and I have August birthdays so, in my house, there are a lot of reasons for celebrations.
But, I think my favorite thing about mid to late August is the food.
As someone who tries to eat as seasonally as possible, this time of year is seriously like Christmas.
My backyard garden is so full of life. Farmer’s Markets are booming with produce. Seasonal restaurant menus are bursting with a cornucopia of fresh ingredients.
To capitalize on, and get creative with, all the flavorful fruits and vegetables available at this point in the season, check out the following great real food recipes from a variety of natural minded bloggers.
Appetizers and Snacks:
- Summer Salsa with Cucumber, Recipes to Nourish
- Baked Pimento Peppers with Cheese, Recipes to Nourish
- Simple, Baked Applesauce, Raising Generation Nourished
- Babaganoush, And Here We Are
- Lacto-Fermented Eggplant, Little Owl Crunchy Momma
- Fermented Salsa, The Provision Room
- BBQ Baked Rutabaga Chips, Cotter Crunch
- Apple Chips, Scratch Mommy
- Garden Fresh Marinara, Reformation Acres
- Fresh Tomato Soup, Raising Generation Nourished
- Roasted Pepper and Eggplant Gazpacho, And Here We Are
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Apples, Oranges and Fresh Thyme, The Organic Kitchen
- Eggplant Cannelloni, Back to the Book Nutrition
- Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Butternut Sauce, Holistic Health Herbalist
- Summer Harvest White Chicken Chili, The Rising Spoon
- Slow Cooker Raspberry Pork Stuffed Radicchio Wraps, Cotter Crunch
- Grilled Eggplant and Hummus Wrap, Scratch Mommy
- Concord Grape Sherbet, Recipes to Nourish
- Chocolate Eggplant Torte, Grok Grub
- Zucchini Apple Muffins, This is so Good
- Zucchini Donuts, Bloom.
Salads and Sides:
- Spinach, Apple and Bacon Salad, Reformation Acres
- Caprese Stack Salad, The Organic Kitchen
- Oven Roasted Okra, Back to the Book Nutrition
- Tomato, Bacon and Corn Salad, Back to the Book Nutrition
- Mexican Street Corn, The Organic Kitchen
- Spicy Apple Slaw with Coconut and Cashews, This is so Good
- Grilled Radicchio, Studio Botanica
- Balsamic Roasted Green Beans, The Rising Spoon
- Carrot and Ginger Salad Dressing, Bloom.