Last Updated on
Alrighty, friends. No fluff in this post…let’s get right to it.
This is an unbelievably nourishing and tasty soup that is also very kind to your pocketbook, too. With just a few simple ingredients and a crock pot, you’ll be eating a lovely soup to warm and nourish your soul.
Poor (Wo)man’s Cabbage Soup
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 medium to large onion
- 1+ C homemade chicken stock
- 1 pkg bratwurst (4-5 of your favorite locally raised brats or a trusted brand w/no antibiotics or hormones raised on pasture)
- Garlic (fresh or 1t garlic like this, or more if you really like garlic)
- Sea salt & white pepper, to taste
- Coarsely chop your washed cabbage
- Slice your onion
- Place onions in bottom of crock pot
- Put cabbage on top
- Add seasonings
- Pour chicken stock over top (enough to cover everything halfway)
- Place bratwurst on top of everything (no, the liquid does not have to cover them)
- Cook on high for about 3 hours
- Remove brats, slice, then add back into your slow cooker
- Enjoy your cheap and nourishing meal!
Seriously, this is a frugal and delicious meal that will serve your family a few times for a few days.
Also, feel free to get creative! Add in any other spices that you love, possibly some carrots…yummo!
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy