UPDATE: Due to reader and customer demand, I have posted pictures of this DIY facial foundation being applied. Be sure to look at the end of this post for the link!!!
I know that you are probably on a journey to rid your home of toxic products. As such, you are probably looking to do the same with your personal care products, and makeup, as well.
Awesome. That makes me extremely happy…and we have A LOT in common!
I have played around with this DIY facial foundation recipe for quite some time now. As a result, I’ve tried many, many recipes online, adapting them to try and create my own.
The end product was never exactly what I wanted. Some were okay, but none were perfect.
Finally, I believe that I have created the most perfect, healthy, non-toxic, organic, effective smooth finish DIY facial foundation makeup.
…AND, it contains an SPF factor!!!
Seems like you are likely a lot like me in your green-living ways, as you have probably dabbled in making skincare products yourself: salve, deodorant, etc. As many of you might know, it’s become my ultimate passion…for good reason!
Not going to get into it all here (I’ve already written a pretty extensive post re: the nastiness in skincare products), but I will say that makeup is one of the biggest offenders for nastiness.
I have been using a foundation that I thought was good quality (Lord knows it sure is CRAZY expensive…$45 for just over 1oz…ouch). Honestly, though…I bought it a while ago because it was mineral-based and because it did not have colophony in it (a random contact allergy I have).
I hadn’t looked at the ingredients until recently, so I had to take a peek. Here’s what I found…
(Beige Ivory): Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, PEG-12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Isononyl Isononanoate Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Trihydroxystearin, Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxstearate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Silk Powder (Serica), Saccharomyces/Xylinum Black Tea Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).1
It’s kind-of embarrassing to show you this list, but above all, it does feel good to finally know the horrific product I’ve been using for a year. Ya know, moving on and making better choices is the name of the game, right!?
Therefore, today I am sharing that better choice with all of you, because I know that you want to make better choices, too.
Below you’ll find my DIY facial foundation recipe…it’s easy, for real. Plus, you can purchase all of the ingredients to make it in my online herbal boutique and below I explain in detail how to make it. Easy peasy!
OR…if you aren’t the DIY type (or don’t have time, or desire, or ingredients, etc etc etc), you can purchase this foundation in my Pronounce Skincare shop.
Without further ado, let’s get right to the recipe, shall we?
Smooth Finish DIY Facial Foundation With Sunscreen
This recipe makes approximately 5oz of foundation
- 1.5oz Almond Oil (or unrefined, raw, organic carrier oil of your choice; learn more about carrier oils here; purchase Pronounce Skincare Almond Oil)
- 1oz Shea Butter (organic, raw, unrefined shea butter like this)
- .5oz Cocoa Butter (organic, raw, unrefined cocoa butter like this)
- .5oz Beeswax (this is by far my favorite beeswax)
- 1/8t Vitamin E (make sure it’s not from GMO sources; this is my favorite Vitamin E)
- .5oz Zinc Oxide (make sure it is uncoated, non-nano, and not micronized)
- Cacao Powder (organic cacao (or cocoa) powder like this)
- Cinnamon (organic cinnamon like this) – if you are sensitive to cinnamon simply leave it out.
- Double-boiler (I just make my own with a glass bowl over a pot of shallow simmering water)
- Kitchen scale (this is my favorite kitchen scale)
- Container for finished product (see more below re: container choices)
- Using your scale and the tare function, measure and combine the first five ingredients into the glass bowl into your double-boiler.
- DO NOT add the zinc oxide, cocoa powder, or cinnamon!
- Completely melt the first five ingredients, stirring occasionally with your whisk.
- Remove from heat and allow time to cool a bit (a few minutes…and wipe excess moisture off the outside of your bowl, too).
- Next, place your bowl back on the scale, hit tare, and add in spoonfuls of zinc oxide until you get to .5oz. This gives you approximately a 20 SPF coverage (as it’s approximately 10% of the total weight…read more about sunscreen here). Whisk to completely combine.
- Add 1/8t cinnamon; whisk to combine.
- Next, add cacao powder a little at a time and whisk until you get to the color you need…
- 1/2T cacao powder is a light foundation
- 1t + 1/2T is a medium foundation
- 2t + 1/2T is a medium-dark foundation
- Simply start with 1/2T of cacao powder, whisk to combine, check on your wrist for a color match, and add more cocoa powder (1/2t at a time) until you reach your perfect color
- Finally, pour into your selected container and allow to cool.
- FYI… T=Tablespoon and t=Teaspoon
That is it, friends. Super easy, right!??
Random Questions You Might Have
Certainly, you have a few choices for containers and it depends on how you like to apply your new DIY facial foundation.
This is a silky smooth foundation. As a result, it is easily spreadable, yet firm enough to stay on for hours (thanks to the beeswax). As such, you can apply it in several ways and you have several container choices. Simply click on the pictures below to take a look at the containers.
- For application your fingers work fine (as long as they are clean). Using a container like the one you see to the left would serve you well for this foundation.
You simply scoop your finger into the container and apply directly to your face. Or, you could scoop a clean makeup sponge into the container and apply it that way, too.
Yes, this is a metal tin. If you don’t like metal tins, you might like the next option below better.
- Again, you’d use your fingers for this option. …or a makeup sponge.
…and heck yes! You can certainly use mason jars for your personal care products. They aren’t for just food!
Point being, you apply and spread it directly on your face, but this container option is a nice glass mason jar.
You can also see the containers I offer over in my Herbal Boutique here!
Seriously, I don’t want this to be complicated, because it shouldn’t be.
DIY Facial Foundation FAQs…
***This foundation is not the consistency of many others you find out there. Let me clarify…this is not the consistency of crappy, cheap runny ones; this facial foundation is a thick consistency that is extremely spreadable. I prefer using a triangle sponge, but sometimes for a quick application I use my fingers.
***This does NOT go on in a thick layer (like a pancake foundation that offers full, heavy, & thick coverage); it is thin and light in coverage. As a result, it sets the perfect base for your favorite powder, which will set and finish your new nourishing and moisturizing foundation nicely. I just scoop out the foundation, touch it to my face to warm on my skin, and then lightly massage it onto my skin. It takes a few short minutes to soak into your face, but when it does you’ll have a light coverage that is incredibly healthy for your skin.
***Again, if you are looking for a full coverage facial foundation to cover many blemishes, this is NOT it. This is a light coverage foundation that is healthy for your skin…no crazy & unnecessary toxins…but certainly does provide light, effective, & even coverage that optimizes your already natural elements of beauty.
***Your choice of powder is crucial to use on top of this foundation. I make my own and it finishes the foundation beautifully, providing greater coverage and an excellent finish. See more below re: a great powder selection.
***Finally, (and this is exciting!) when wearing this DIY facial foundation I no longer have to use a facial cream or lotion, as this is an all-in-one light coverage foundation AND moisturizer. Perfect, because means even less ingredients to put on your face! I simply apply the foundation as a base, apply my powder on top, and then apply my own blush or bronzer and I’m out the door…with a natural, healthy, light coverage that I feel great about putting on my face and it LOOKS great on my face…even and natural.
Now…you need the perfect facial powder!!!
Hooray!!! My DIY Organic Facial Powder Recipe is LIVE! Click the picture to take a look. Most noteworthy, making this powder could NOT be more simple, with only five ingredients.
Wanna Order Only A Small Amount Of Zinc Oxide?
Yes! I’ve got you covered. Go HERE to purchase small amounts of zinc oxide for my three recipes that use it.
Thanks Jess, But I’d Rather You Just Make It For Me
First, I am flattered. You know that I love serving your skincare needs as I LOVE making healthy skincare products!
I love that so many of you put your trust in me to create for you the same healthy, organic skincare products that I use on my own family. Thank you.
Therefore, it’s no problem!
Head on over to the Pronounce Skincare shop and take a look at the foundation color options I have available.
Check out all of the rave reviews before you order (like the one below)!!!
On 2/19/14 Lauren said…
Ok so I just got your homemade foundation in the mail and I am so in love!!! It is amazing. Makes my skin glow and evens my tone and complexion perfectly. You rock!! Thank you!
Awesome. In conclusion, do you have a happy story to share about this DIY facial foundation? I sure would love to hear!
If you have any questions re: placing an order, please send me an email and I’ll respond as quickly as possible (almost always within 3 days).
Are you excited about your new non-toxic foundation solution? Hooray!!!
Like this DIY facial foundation recipe?
I have LOADS more DIY recipes here on my blog.
Just to name a few…
- Effective DIY Deodorant (NO baking soda AND a secret ingredient)
- DIY Deodorant for the super sweaty peeps (still, no baking soda!)
- Non-Toxic Citrus Dusting Spray
- All-Purpose Household Cleaner
- ‘Fix Pretty Much Anything’ DIY Healing Salve
- Foot Deodorant Powder (bye, bye stinky feet!!!)
- Non-Toxic Sunscreen!!!!!!!
Want To See Pictures?
Due to reader and customer demand, I have added pictures of this foundation being applied…before and after and side-by-side pictures.
Click the picture below to check out several pictures of this DIY facial foundation in action…
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy
Pssssst…looking for more healthy skin recipes with sun protection?