Last Updated on
This seriously took me 5 minutes to make.
If you are reading my blog, you are probably a *real* foodie, too; meaning, you likely strive to eliminate processed foods, GMOs, and other unsavory “foods” from your diet.
Well, then this recipe might come as a bit of a surprise to you.
Let me explain…
Yes, I, too, LOVE healthy, whole, *real* ingredients. That said…have you ever wanted to make something and you didn’t have all of the ingredients on hand? Umm, yeah. Pretty sure that’s happened to every cook alive.
Two ingredient examples off of the top of my head are onions and cilantro.
Cilantro. I love it, but do not always keep it readily on hand. Also, I FLY through onions in my house. It’s always a sad day when I go to grab one and realize that there are none. Of course, onions immediately go on my shopping list, but I’m still left without them.
…or am I!??
Nope, not really. I always have minced, dried onion AND cilantro on hand. They are always organic and non-irradiated.
Is this as good as fresh? Ummm, no…probably not.
Do I still consider cooking like this to be healthy (and kind-of from scratch)? Yes, I do.
I’ve heard that necessity is the mother of all invention, and that is exactly how this recipe came to be. I wanted guacamole, but alas…no onions (DOH!!!) and no cilantro. Then I remembered my trusty spice cabinet!
To my toddler’s and my delight, I whipped up the following recipe and it’s now a staple in our home. Of course, as with many of my recipes feel free to add more or less of the ingredients. We all have different palates, so adjust things below as necessary for yours.
Guacamole In A Pinch (aka 5 Minute Guac)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1t garlic powder (I like THIS brand)
- 1.5t dried cilantro (I like THIS brand)
- 2t onion powder (I like THIS brand)
- 1/2 juice from one lime
Bench Players (optional ingredients)
- Sea salt &/or pepper, to taste
- Chipotle powder, red pepper powder, &/or cumin, to taste (I like a lot of cumin…yummo!!!)
- Dash of sour cream, heavy whipping cream, or yogurt (I used heavy whipping cream, simply because it was in my fridge, but again, this step is optional)
- Dice tomatoes into small pieces, place in medium sized bowl.
- Cut avocado in two pieces and dice one half (here is a great tutorial on how to quickly & easily dice an avocado into small squares), place in bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients (adding cream/yogurt and lime juice last) and lightly mix together with a spoon.
- Eat right away or let it sit (covered in the fridge) with lime juice sprinkled on top so it doesn’t brown. This will allow the flavors time to marinate together and really come to life.
I love this on homemade crackers and chips, veggie slices, on top of burgers, and right out of the bowl with a spoon. Yum!
Pretty simple, huh!? Now, get some healthy, organic, non-irradiated spices like the ones mentioned above (and also below) to keep on hand whenever you run into a pinch. You’ll be happy that you have them (especially when you are ready for guac and have no onions…or cilantro).
Until next time…
Don’t forget to visit the Scratch Mommy Etsy Skincare Shop for all of your organic, healthy, *real* skincare needs!